To renew Driver’s license in New York, you must have a valid, unexpired license to operate a vehicle in New York State.
It’s fast and easy to renew online.
Driver’s License in New York Renewal Eligibility
You can’t renew:
- A learner permit
- A license that is suspended or revoked
- A license or non-driver ID card that expired for more than 2 years
You can renew:
- You can renew your license up to one year before it expires or 2 years after
- Your address on file with the DMV must be up to date.
- To renew your license, you’ll need proof that you passed an eye test. (You may take a vision test at a DMV office or your vision test results may be submitted to DMV from a DMV vision test location or by submitting a Vision Test Report (pdf) from a qualified medical professional.)
- You can renew your license or non-driver ID online. If you have a Commercial Driver License (CDL), you will need to renew at a DMV Office.
Driver’s License in New York renewal fees
The fee is on your renewal notice, and displayed on your computer screen when you renew online.
The fee to renew non-driver ID is between varies as well. You can check the non-driver ID card renewal fee chart.
Renew your driver license or non-driver ID now.
What you need ready:
- Your driver license or ID card
- The last 4 digits of your Social Security number
- Vision test results submitted online by a vision test provider or a completed MV-619 (needed for license only)
- A credit card or pinless debit card